[OpenStack-docs] Removing support for flagmappings

sfinucan at redhat.com sfinucan at redhat.com
Wed Mar 8 10:26:10 UTC 2017

The openstack-manuals [1] project contains a number of configuration
guides, which are autogenerated using tooling found in the openstack-
doc-tools [2] project.

This tooling makes use of 'flagmapping' files [3], which map various
config options to different categories. These files must be manually
maintained, which doesn't appear to be happening for some projects
(nova). Given the names of the files, I'm led to believe they are a
hangover from the days before oslo.config where OpenStack used per-
project "flags". Given that oslo.config provides not only opts but also
groups, I don't see any reason to keep this functionality around.

I've submitted some changes which will drop support for these
flagmapping files [4][5] along with the flagmapping files themselves
[6], and rely instead of the Opt.group property to categorize options.
If anyone knows of a good reason to keep these features around, I'd ask
that you comment on the review. If not, I'd appreciate support for
stripping out these unnecessary features.

Cheers,
Stephen

[1] https://github.com/openstack/openstack-manuals/
[2] https://github.com/openstack/openstack-doc-tools