[OpenStack-docs] [Openstack-operators] [dev] [doc] Operations Guide future

Petr Kovar pkovar at redhat.com
Fri Jun 2 16:49:46 UTC 2017

On Thu, 1 Jun 2017 15:06:11 +0000
Alexandra Settle <a.settle at outlook.com> wrote:

> I haven’t had any feedback regarding moving the Operations Guide to the
> OpenStack wiki. I’m not taking silence as compliance. I would really like to
> hear people’s opinions on this matter.
>
> To recap:
>
>     Option one: Kill the Operations Guide completely and move the Administration
>     Guide to project repos. Option two: Combine the Operations and
>     Administration Guides (and then this will be moved into the project-specific
>     repos) Option three: Move Operations Guide to OpenStack wiki (for ease of
>     operator-specific maintainability) and move the Administration Guide to
>     project repos.

Just wanted to chime in and say I don't have good experiences from other
open source documentation projects with maintaining technical content in
wikis. The maintenance of such content can be a real pain unless you
put extra effort into making sure that there are wiki gardening processes
in place and a team of core contributors being responsible for them.

I'd vote for option one to see what's the real interest in keeping that
content updated for future releases.

Cheers,
pk