[OpenStack-docs] Summary of how I18n affects with doc-migration

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon Jul 31 20:46:41 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Ian Y. Choi's message of 2017-08-01 03:16:09 +0900:
> Hello translators,
>
> The OpenStack manuals project migration [1] has been going well,
> and I would like to share what I have found which things influence on
> I18n activities from the perspective of translators,
> since some translators asked me about missing some openstack-manuals
> documents in Zanata.

Thank you for doing this analysis!

> 1. Removal of documents in openstack-manuals project in Zanata
>
> In [2], the following documents are not currently visible
>   : admin-guide, arch-design, networking-guide, ops-guide, user-guide .
>
> For several release cycles, there have been less amount contribution on
> admin-guide (migrating to each project tree)
> and arch-design (deprecated). For networking-guide, translating in
> stable-ocata will be preserved, but
> master version was removed and the content will be migrated into neutron
> repository.
> User-guide will be migrated and divided between the horizon repository
> and python-openstackclient repository.
>
> If the strings for the migrated projects (admin-guide, networking-guide,
> and user-guide) would be the same
> as the removed strings in openstack-manuals, I18n team expects that
> translation memory merge functionality
> in Zanata would be able to fill out translations for the migrated projects.

This is good to know. I am going to need someone who knows how the
translation jobs work to help set those up. I can assist, but I do not
know how they work so I cannot lead that effort.

> Note that the translation support work of migrated documents will be
> started after the migration completes
> and I18n team need volunteers for the work.
>
> 2. Draft index page for translated documents was also removed
>
> Previously, Docs team maintained draft documents for the master branch
> (which will be the stable branch
> after the official release and the document stables) on
> https://docs.openstack.org/draft/draft-index.html page.
> It also contained translated draft documents and I18n team accessed the
> page to see whether translated documents
> render well or not, and also review translated strings.
>
> I did not notice when I saw the spec [1], but recently, I noticed that
> the the draft-index.html page was deprecated
> by [next-release-name]/index.haml (e.g.,
> https://docs.openstack.org/pike/index.html ) [4].
>
> Since I18n team encourages translation review for the better quality of
> translations, it is a good idea to see
> draft documents before language landing pages have the link to fully
> translated and reviewed documents.

Is it possible to see the draft of a translation by reviewing the
output of the job that proposes the patch containing the translated
text?

> Motoki-san proposed an idea of translation status support using an yaml
> file in openstack-manuals [5],
> and I would like to discuss with I18n team how we deal with the change
> of draft index page.

How would that flag or information be used?

> 3. Archiving translated documents is also needed
>
> Liberty translated documents (e.g., [6]) and translated documents which
> were migrated (e.g., [7], [8])
> are still accessible through docs.o.o. In my opinion, those translated
> documents are also the target
> of archiving documents [9]. For translated documents, I think just
> publishing htmls as read-only (e.g., github pages?)
> would be fine, and the work needs volunteers.

We are discussing archiving in another thread:
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-July/120254.html

I have proposed that we not "archive" any published content, and simply
leave it on docs.openstack.org indefinitely. I think the translated
content could be included in that policy. Would that work?

Doug