[OpenStack-docs] Strategic discussion regarding the future of documentation for EOL releases

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Jul 26 12:49:50 UTC 2017

On 2017-07-26 07:42:38 -0400 (-0400), David A. Desrosiers wrote:
[...]
> * The branches are gone so there's no way to "update" these eol docs,
>   patch them to build, or maintain them going forward for those eol
>   releases.

This item is being presented as a problem when it is in fact a
solution. The goal there was to prevent people from submitting
errata for end-of-life documents to reduce overall review workload
and to be able to signal to people that they shouldn't bother trying
to fix those outdated versions but rather get any necessary fixes
into the latest versions of the document instead.

>   * Should the eol docs be pulled out and put into their own separate
>     github repo, where they _can_ be patched and maintained so they
>     continue to be buildable and usable by those with the correct
>     tools and environment?
[...]

I don't see where this solves anything. If there aren't available
maintainers for those versions of the documentation when it's in the
original repos, how would moving them into another repo change that
at all? This just comes back to the same discussion we have
repeatedly about stable branch maintenance in general, supporting
more releases for longer, LTS releases and skip-upgrading, et
cetera. The resources to help maintain these sorts of things need to
show up first and prove that they're involved on the team before we
can, as a community, safely promise to extend/increase support
durations.

Also, one other possible solution which I haven't seen suggested
yet: why aren't distros packaging copies of the documentation just
as they package other built software? Much like packaging our
software so versions past EOL upstream can continue to be
consistently installed, the same goes for availability of
documentation contemporary with it.
--
Jeremy Stanley