[OpenStack-docs] [openstack-dev] [docs][neutron] doc-migration status

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Sun Jul 23 20:49:53 UTC 2017

On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 12:13 PM, Akihiro Motoki <amotoki at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question on admin/ document related to the networking guide
> and would like to have advices from the documentation experts.
>
> It seems the check site by Doug expect all project have admin/ page.
> In the case of neutron the situation is a bit special. We have the
> networking guide as admin/ document
> in the neutron repo and it covers not only neutron itself but also
> neutron stadium projects.
> It means the neutron stadium projects sometimes (often?) have no
> admin/ directory in their own repos
> in favor of adding contents to the networking guide in neutron.
>
> Should Individual neutron stadium projects have their own admin guide
> in their repositories,
> or is it better to keep the networking guide which covers all
> networking stuff in a single guide?

It's better to keep the networking guide as close to what it is now as
possible, based on the web stats and prior input on that guide's
popularity.

Could you list all the neutron stadium projects? That might help
answer the next question, because if they require neutron, it seems
like a single networking guide is a good way forward. If my memory
serves, it was vpnaas, fwaas, and lbaas, and a whole lot more.
Reviewing https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/neutron-specs/specs/newton/neutron-stadium.html
I see a lot more with varying amounts of docs. My general guideline at
first glance would be, if they require neutron, let's put them in the
networking guide in the neutron repo.

I may not say the same for storage, because that's a different set of
interdependencies and decisions for operators to make. I don't think
cinder ever had a stadium, for example. But, since the "neutron
stadium" was very contributor-specific, let's make sure we're meeting
consumer needs.

> What is the suggested way on the networking guide as the document expert?

Keep working with us with specific scenarios and details and we can
fill in a set of reader needs, hopefully.

Anne

> Thanks,
> Akihiro

>> We've made huge progress, and are launching the updated landing
>> pages for docs.openstack.org as I write this. Thanks to all of the
>> contributors who have stepped up to write nearly 1,000 patches to
>> improve the health of our documentation!
>>
>> We still have around 70 URLs we expected to see after the migration
>> was complete but that produce a 404. I know some of the patches to
>> produce those pages are in progress, but please check the list at
>> https://doughellmann.com/doc-migration/ if your team is listed below
>> to ensure that nothing has been missed.
>>
>>   cinder
>>   cloudkitty
>>   congress
>>   designate
>>   heat
>>   ironic
>>   karbor
>>   keystone
>>   magnum
>>   manila
>>   murano
>>   neutron
>>   nova
>>   sahara
>>   senlin
>>   swift
>>   tacker
>>   telementry
>>   tricircle
>>   trove
>>   vitrage
>>   watcher
>>   zaqar
>>   zun
>>
>> Reply here or ping me in #openstack-docs if you have questions or need a
>> hand.
>>
>> Doug

Read my blog: justwrite.click
Subscribe to Docs|Code: docslikecode.com