[OpenStack-docs] [openstack-docs] Archiving documentation

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Wed Jan 25 07:47:32 UTC 2017

On 25/01/17 15:33, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> On 2017-01-25 05:39, Tom Fifield  wrote:
>> I'd suggest that anyone on the infrastructure team would be happy to
>> perform this copy (and have the access necessary to do so. Just drop a
>> mail to openstack-infra at lists.openstack.org (or in #openstack-infra) and
>> ask to copy the icehouse dir from 'docs-archived' to 'docs.o.o'.
>
> I can coordinate that copying - but before I do, I'd like to see a plan.
>
> Btw. copying the complete icehouse dir is wrong, I don't want to copy
> the Install Guide as you said as well. So, what should be copied exactly?

Cheers, so pseudocode then:
scp docs-archive:/var/www/icehouse docs.o.o:/afs/docs/icehouse
rm docs.o.o/afs/docs/icehouse/install-guide*

> Moving to docs-archived just a single directory right now is the wrong
> way: It still breaks existing URLs, why not use /icehouse? Then, which
> other directories to copy over? How do you want to make these archived
> versions available - there's no /icehouse or /docs-archived index page.
> What are we doing about translations of the documents?

Yup, copying icehouse to /icehouse is indeed the idea. If versions
post-icehouse haven't been copied, suggest doing those too (everyone
loves a for loop!). No need to touch the index pages at this time - just
putting the files back will fix the 404s for those who have got those
bookmarks and links they're following. For translations, I believe they
live under the release root directory in a lang code sub directory, so
they will come across, though there may be the need to add rm
docs.o.o/icehouse/*/install-guide* to get those too, as above.