[OpenStack-docs] [openstack-docs] Archiving documentation

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Tue Jan 24 13:36:08 UTC 2017

On 2017-01-24 14:22, Tom Fifield  wrote:
> On 24/01/17 20:53, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

>>> Except that isn't a fix - see the comments from your users :)
>>
>> Tom,
>>
>> we retired Icehouse in April 2016 already. And even before that there
>> was no way to go from docs.o.o/index.html to any Icehouse content.
>>
>> This is the first report of an Icehouse user - that somehow had old
>> bookmarks or whatever obsolete link that pointed to an Icehouse
>> Configuration reference page,
>
> The thing is - the Icehouse (or Juno, or Kilo, or Liberty) configuration
> reference is not 'old' or 'obsolete' for these users. It's an integral
> document to keep their cloud running, or prepare for their upgrade to a
> newer version. It's entirely valid for them to bookmark a link, or
> follow an Ask OpenStack posting that sends them to a useful page.
>

> The OpenStack docs team is not in the position to make the decision
> about when a cloud is online, offline, ready for upgrade, insecure,
> unstable or obsolete. It exists to serve the users who are in that
> position. As such, content must remain until when our users no longer
> need it. It's surprising to see how much resistance there is to this
> idea, given it takes very minimal effort to keep an existing HTML page
> online :) Our best data on users indicates that we no longer need
> Austin, Bexar, Cactus or Diablo, but there are still significant numbers
> on Icehouse and later.
>
> So, why not help Alvaro? Martin? Cristina? Randy? Mikhail? Renato?
> Christian? Tomo? Graeme? Vaibhav? These are just a few of the people
> running Icehouse that need this doc to do their job. How about it?

Btw. Christian is the one that made the change to EOL the docu.

We have in the past redirected old content - up to havana - and forgot
about that in Icehouse. So, you're arguing here for a change of
direction and not for the status quo!

Tom, I'd rather fix the general problem instead of fighting single
fires. So, what's the proposal you want to make for older documentation
and how can we implement that - and retire it?

Once we have that, let's revisit what it means for this case,

       HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)