[OpenStack-docs] [openstack-docs] Archiving documentation

Alexandra Settle a.settle at outlook.com
Mon Jan 23 14:04:19 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

I would like to know if we have ever discussed appropriately archiving documentation after EOL date?

Tom triaged this bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1658659 this morning, where the reporter noted that Icehouse documentation was not found on docs.openstack.org. The reporter noted that it was EOL, but was 404ing and did not redirect to any archive folder.

Normally, I’m not too sure I’d be concerned about documentation as far back as Icehouse but as Tom notes in the bug, “With 9% of users still having Icehouse in production as at October 2016, I tend to agree.” The number of users was something I was unaware of – thank you, Tom.

Did we ever have a process in place to appropriately archive documentation? Was there a reason we do not archive documentation after EOL dates?

If we were to archive documentation, I would recommend something similar to the following:

1.       Anything that is EOL’d is converted to a PDF document by the release team (now we have the functionality to do so).

2.       EOL branch is deleted as per normal.

3.       Each document is branded with “End of life – cannot be edited” or something of that nature.

4.       Kept in Archive folder on main docs.o.o page.

Thoughts? Or is there a piece of history here that I am missing?

Thanks,

Alex