[OpenStack-docs] [openstack-dev] [docs] Docs PTG summary

Alexandra Settle a.settle at outlook.com
Mon Feb 27 17:06:31 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

The OpenStack manuals project had a really productive week at the first PTG in Atlanta, collaborating with the I18n team on the Monday and Tuesday for the horizontal sessions.

We were able to have several key leaders in the room, including previous documentation PTL, Anne Gentle and I18n PTL, Ian Choi to help drive a lot of the sessions. Although we had a small localized attendance, we were visited by several members of different projects such as Neutron and Security, each interested in helping contribute to the documentation project. We also had a successful first attempt at incorporating remote attendees for a few different sessions.

Following the PTG, the documentation team will be having a renewed focus on the Administration, Networking, High Availability (HA) and the Architecture Guides. These guides in particular have been items of technical debt for some time. The team at the PTG was able to collaborate and work on plans to best deal with any and all concerns. You can see all our comments, and sessions here: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/docs-i18n-ptg-pike

Things to look out for during Pike:

1.       HA Guide

·         Specialty team lead Ianeta Hutchinson and SME Adam Spiers played a big hand in planning the future of the guide. One of the major concerns was ensuring the guide was written and delivered to an appropriate audience. After collaborating during the session, and later in a cross-project working session. The team was able to smash out some new deliverables.

·         You can see the comments, and the ToC planning in the HA etherpad: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/HA_Guide

·         The team will be using SMEs like Adam to help craft the guide, with further assistance from the OSIC team.

2.       Administration Guide

·         The topic of a project-specific admin guide has come up previously, but this time with more gusto. As a result of the discussions in the PTG sessions, Ildiko Vancsa and specialty team lead Joseph Robinson will be working together over the course of the Pike release to fashion a specification.

·         https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/docs-i18n-ptg-pike-repos

3.       Networking Guide

·         Specialty team lead John Davidge will be working closely with the neutron team to work on a better information delivery method using the DocImpact tag. He will also be working on reorganizing the guide, and working with the HA team to avoid duplication of content.

·         https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/networking-guide-improvements

4.       Security Guide

·         The security guide team and the documentation team got together to work on the future of the Sec guide. Due to limited resources, there has been a pause in necessary updates. The security team working with OSIC have volunteered their team to employ a tactical effort to deliver 10 non-wishlist bugs.

·         Further planning is underway regarding the audience, services, and pre-existing content.

·         You can find more information here: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/docs-i18n-ptg-pike (line 202)

5.       Architecture and Operations Guide(s)

·         The draft guide that Ben Silverman and specialty team lead Darren Chan have been working on tirelessly for the last few cycles is coming out of the darkness and being published. Hopefully this will generate more interest in the guide (help!). The team will be working on improving the visibility of issues overall, and creating an architecture template use case template to provide guidance for contributors.

·         The Ops Guide team will also be focusing on a single source of truth for Networking content, and discussing best course of action for the Upgrade notes.

·         For more information: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/docs-i18n-ptg-pike (line 271)

6.       Reno release notes

·         Adam Spiers is working alongside Doug Hellmann to enable reno release notes for the Pike release. https://docs.openstack.org/developer/reno/

·         Adam already has a preliminary patch up: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/437611/ keep your eyes open for more!

7.       Archiving of documentation

·         Specialty team lead Brian Moss will be working with the tools team and Lana Brindley to implement the plan for archiving as detailed here: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/426047/

·         The docs team will be working with the I18n team to find a use case that suits both scenarios.

·         More information and notes: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/docs-i18n-ptg-pike (line 104)

8.       Website theme

·         The docs team will be working on unifying the themes used (oslo.sphinx and openstackdocstheme). Specialty team lead Kato Tomoyuki will be working alongside Anne Gentle to write a specification for the new integration.

We also had a few new contributors that was really great to see. Thanks to everyone that came along to the documentation session locally or remotely. It was highly productive and looking forward to auctioning everything in Pike!

Any questions? Please let me know! I apologise if I have missed anything. The etherpad is full of info!

Thanks,

Alex