[OpenStack-docs] Install Guides - Linking to plugin based guides

Hayes, Graham graham.hayes at hpe.com
Tue Feb 14 23:58:03 UTC 2017

On 14/02/17 23:12, darren chan wrote:
> Hi Graham,
>
> Links to non-core services install guides are added in
> /openstack-manuals/doc/install-guide/source/additional-services.rst. In
> the index file, you can't reference files located in another repo.
>
> That said, Brian Moss has created a remoteinclude Sphinx extension which
> includes remote standalone files https://kallimachos.github.io/chios/. I
> think there would be value in extending this functionality to also
> include remote index files. This would enable all project install guides
> to be listed on the index page.

I thought the install-guide plugins published into a path that could be
linked to from the index (we certainly used to [0]). In fact if you look
at the content in additional-services.rst it is just a collection of
hard coded links to a published path.

If this is no longer the case it is a  regression, and highlights issues
that I have been talking about for the last while for core vs non
core projects - this change makes it quite difficult for installers
to find install docs for "non core" or "non docs supported" services.

[1] seems to be the change that removed these links.

0 - https://docs.openstack.org/project-install-guide/newton/ see the
right hand side - some of these are install guide plugins.

1 - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/425821/