[OpenStack-docs] Admin Guide enhancements

Alexandra Settle a.settle at outlook.com
Tue Feb 7 11:35:51 UTC 2017

Hey Ildiko and Joseph,

I like the enthusiasm ☺ thank you both for getting on board!

To answer your questions Ildiko, they are usually in-tree: https://github.com/openstack/swift/tree/master/install-guide/source (just an example)

Not to shoot everyone down in flames straight away but we need to have a deep dive discussion about this at the PTG before we create repos and build environments.

Our Install Guides and Deployment Guide methods are based off what you are suggesting. I would recommend reading the project-specific install guide plan here: http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/docs-specs/specs/newton/project-specific-installguides.html

That being said, it is up to the project to include the relevant administration guide section, and not up to us. We would have to ensure several of the following things:

1.       Project teams are on board and are capable themselves to look after their administration content(s).

2.       We have the bandwidth to plan and action this item – which, at the moment, I have every intention of directing our team to on our already large pile of technical debt. I would prefer not to add any more without dedicated free resources.

I would like to take these ideas and bring them to table at the PTG and ensure, first of all, we have full team support. After that, we need to ensure we have a fully approved specification similar to the one above.

Please do not take this as a deterrence from any major discussion points, I think this is definitely a conversation we should be having. ☺ But we already have a large list of items to tackle for the Pike release and it is my job to ensure they are actioned and that we are not overloading our shrinking team.

Hopefully this answers some of your questions, and positions us for some good conversations and planning points at the PTG ☺

Cheers,

Alex