[OpenStack-docs] Release name in the background

Brian Moss kallimachos at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 01:07:45 UTC 2016

On 7 September 2016 at 23:49, Anne Gentle <annegentle at justwriteclick.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 1:51 AM, Brian Moss <kallimachos at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Mahesh,
>>
>> Glad you like it! I think we want the image to repeat down the page so if
>> someone links to the middle of a long page they still have an indication of
>> which version they are looking at. However, perhaps the spacing between
>> images can be increased so they do not appear as frequently.
>>
>> I've filed a couple of issues for sphinxmark to add these as config
>> options so we can experiment and find the best look for the OpenStack docs.
>>
>> https://github.com/kallimachos/sphinxmark/issues/12
>> https://github.com/kallimachos/sphinxmark/issues/13
>>

> If the solution is experimental, and the readability is poor, let's revert
> until we have a design we've all agreed to. Right now I find it really
> distracting and hard to read. Maybe I missed the design phase -- totally
> possible -- but the current overlay watermark makes the Mitaka install
> guide not readable.
>
> Can you come up with some next steps and let us know the plan?
>
> Anne

A few options that are immediately available would be to reduce the opacity
of the watermark, change its color, and/or reduce the font size. For
example, the current opacity is 40. This is what it looks like set to 10:

http://docs-draft.openstack.org/29/367029/1/check/gate-openstack-manuals-tox-doc-publish-checkbuild/4b8dd8c//publish-docs/draft/install-guide-ubuntu/index.html

Alternatively, an image can be used in place of the text if we have one
that is more suitable than the text-based solution.

If the concern is with having the watermark behind the text and we want it
somewhere else on the page, that will require a bit more effort to
implement.

If the above config options don't provide the desired result, watermarks
can be turned off by setting 'sphinxmark_enable = False' in the conf.py
files of the relevant books.

If you have a particular look in mind, let me know and I'll see what I can
do to make it happen. :)

Brian