[OpenStack-docs] Docs in BCN: User Guides Session Wrap Up

Lana Brindley openstack at lanabrindley.com
Thu Oct 27 05:43:12 UTC 2016

On 27/10/16 07:27, Anne Gentle wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 7:21 AM, Lana Brindley <openstack at lanabrindley.com <mailto:openstack at lanabrindley.com>> wrote:
>
>     Greetings from day two in Barcelona! We held the User Guides session today. Thanks to Alex for moderating, and writing this wrap up.
>
>     Thursday is Docs day at the summit, with four sessions running through the afternoon. I'll be getting wrapups for those out as quickly as can.
>

>     Etherpad: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/BCN-Docs-UserGuidesWG <https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/BCN-Docs-UserGuidesWG>
>
>     Highlights:
>
>     ·         We have two new volunteers who are happily going to help out with the OpenStack changes. Stephen Gordon enlightened us to a problem with one of the OpenStack (nova) commands that seemed to be failing (http://serverfault.com/questions/801479/how-to-attach-an-interface-to-an-instance-with-the-openstack-client <http://serverfault.com/questions/801479/how-to-attach-an-interface-to-an-instance-with-the-openstack-client>). The idea from here though is that we have people changing the command and testing as they go from now on to ensure that these problems are not translating to the guides.
>     ·         Stephen Gordon and Lana will talk with the training and lab team tomorrow to work on a Jenkins job to check through the admin guides (similar to the update script we run through the config ref guide for updates). This will automate what would be a potentially long and arduous manual process. This should help out with testing the commands.
>

> This is a great idea! I really hope it works. Happy to help out if I can.

Thanks Anne! All credit goes to Steve. The idea is that we could use a 'success' return code to test if the command exists (as opposed to checking whether or not the command works in context, like in the Install Guide). I did run into Pranav very briefly yesterday after this session, and he seemed excited by the idea as well. Looking forward to going through it in more detail this afternoon.

> I had a talk at the exact same time so I couldn't be there, so I appreciate the quick write-up.

No trouble. Trying to keep everyone in the loop! :)

Lana Brindley
Technical Writer
Rackspace Cloud Builders Australia
http://lanabrindley.com