[OpenStack-docs] [user-guide] Python SDK examples

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Mon May 30 22:59:08 UTC 2016

On 05/24/2016 10:57 AM, Everett Toews wrote:

>> On May 24, 2016, at 8:46 AM, Anne Gentle <annegentle at justwriteclick.com> wrote:
>>
>> So, if your per-service guides are good, then maybe it's better to delete these examples than to add to content technical debt. Does anyone have opinions here? On the user-committee list we're also talking about redesigning the landing page, perhaps we'll get some discussion on how to enable more SDK examples.
>
> The Python SDK user guides live here [1] (source code at [5]). The examples live here [2].
>
> The examples are literally woven into the user guides. For example, the compute user guide [3]. The example code you see in that guide is literally the example code from [2]. All Python SDK examples are tested on every code push via the gate.
>
> I recommend taking the examples at [4] and translating them into examples at [2] and including them in the docs at [5].
>
> Thanks,
> Everett
>
> [1] http://developer.openstack.org/sdks/python/openstacksdk/users/index.html#user-guides
> [2] http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/python-openstacksdk/tree/examples
> [3] http://developer.openstack.org/sdks/python/openstacksdk/users/guides/compute.html
> [4] http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/openstack-manuals/tree/doc/user-guide/source/sdk*.rst
> [5] http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/python-openstacksdk/tree/doc/source/users/guides

I've pushed up three patches so far - one simply fixes the existing
novaclient docs (they included code paths that should never be run by
anyone ever), one to start to try to talk about the actual SDK
situation, and one to start to move the novaclient stuff into a
different place (removing the keystone, glance and neutron ones that
become irrelevant)

I'm gonna make a follow up patch for SDK construction and for REST
Client construction as soon as I eat some more food.

The bottom of the stack is: https://review.openstack.org/323040

Monty