[OpenStack-docs] Diagram recommendations for Openstack Contributor Guides

Matt Kassawara mkassawara at gmail.com
Thu May 12 21:17:27 UTC 2016

A good chunk of the existing diagrams were made in OmniGraffle... mostly
because it provides the path of least resistance in terms of time and
effort to generate useful diagrams. The documentation build system uses PNG
files, a raster format, so we request that any diagrams also include an
editable vector version in a separate file, typically something relatively
open such as SVG. However, as it turns out, no diagram tool seems to agree
on SVG file format, so it often helps to include a third file of the
diagram in the native format. The next problem we face is how to instruct
new people to make diagrams that conform to some sort of usable standard.
Not as easy as words, and explanations of things like line width or shading
often depend on the particular application. So, during the Newton cycle,
we'd like to determine how to define standards for diagrams and then add
them to the contributor guide.