[OpenStack-docs] Config Reference and olso.config sphinx extension - Need help

Ronald Bradford me at ronaldbradford.com
Tue May 10 16:36:41 UTC 2016

Andreas,

I would advocate for NOT moving flagmappings files to individual project
repositories.   Having worked out recently how configuration tables are
generated and was able to generate them myself I considered how to improve
the process in relation to using the existing oslo.config generation tools.

The primary reason for not moving the flagmappings file is you are then
dependent on the projects review cycle (and processes) to get these changes
approved.  This includes the load on the gate, and applicable +2 by cores
(which on major projects have their own priorities for features) etc.  I
would not like to see documentation generation data dependent on all
applicable projects.

I see the bigger issue is the current process for generating the config
guides including the frequency and accuracy during the cycle.

In a nutshell, it's a huge pull process, where at some time somebody runs
the tools which pulls in all projects, and dependencies and uses a doc
specific version to identify all the config options, merge with
flagmappings and produce configuration tables.

Ideally, a more optimal means is to create a push process, that is, if any
configuration settings changes within a project during a commit, this data
change is pushed, so that the documentation can be updated accordingly when
applicable.  Nice in theory, in practice it's more complex. Some high level
thoughts on the process.

Some projects now can generate a sample configuration file (tox
-egenconfig).  In Oslo we are hoping to increase this usage, and use the
developer docs as a place to store these files within a project repo.
Leveraging this existing functionality, if we could detect a change in the
sample configuration file during a review commit, then we have the
notification process (keystone already has a bot that does this) that is
the basic information trigger of a new change needed in docs for config.
Now, what is that change of configuration is more complex, and it would
seem a logical necessity to use a neutral format (e.g. yaml) to record the
parsed configuration options, and enable this format to be saved
somewhere/somehow.  This becomes both the input to the oslo.config
generator (i.e. we effectively take current functionality and split it into
two parts, the parsing of configuration options into yaml format, and the
generation of sample config files, and developer docs sphinx extensions
using the yaml format. The yaml data also forms the basis of data for the
configuration guide.
One may argue why break up the oslo.config work because it's working, well
because the inputs are used to generate multiple forms of documentation and
at present only some forms are being used.

I am certainly not familiar with the infra work for bots, and how within a
gate to create, propose and commit work of a produced yaml file, or change
in yaml file.

It does seem like this could be a lot of work, but it's the foundation of
converging the work the documentation team does with tools that exist for
the development side, as well as reducing the tool complexity that exists
in doc tools now.

Regards

Ronald

Ronald Bradford