[OpenStack-docs] openstackdocstheme and Mitaka release?

Olga Gusarenko ogusarenko at mirantis.com
Wed Mar 16 10:10:51 UTC 2016

Andreas,

I like your 4th option as it is the easiest way to go. But only if the
versions will be available from the docs home page as it is at the moment -
More Releases and Languages menu.

Thanks,
Olga

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 6:44 AM, Lana Brindley <openstack at lanabrindley.com>
wrote:

> On 16/03/16 05:47, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> > Currently our guides using openstackdocstheme (and that includes also
> > documents like Compute API in the nova repository) hardcode the release
> > name and links to releases in them.
> >
> > See the attached screenshot for an example or look directly at one of
> > the guides like http://docs.openstack.org/admin-guide-cloud/ .
> >
> > This already confused some folks since we always build with latest theme
> > and thus the kilo guide now will have Liberty in the theme. Also, we
> > have guides that are version independent - we call them also continously
> > released - like User Guides. These cover the current "supported"
> > releases but they have only "Liberty" written on them.
> >
> > With each OpenStack release we face the challenge to update the
> > openstackdocstheme at the right time. We don't want to do it too early -
> > so not have yet Mitaka out - but also not to late - we'd love to be
> > ready when Mitaka is out. This puts stress on OpenStack and
> > documentation release teams to release this timely - against the normal
> > policies setup for releases.
> >
> > I chatted earlier today with Doug Hellmann and Dims and we discussed
> > some options including the following:
> >
> > 1) Leave status quo.
> > 2) Enhance openstackdocstheme to have an option that names the release.
> > This means we need to add to each of the 10+ repos currently using it
> > this option. Advantages are that we could even have different links
> > there - for Liberty guides, links to Liberty, for Mitaka ones, links to
> > Mitaka,...
> > 3) Add the next release links far earlier (now). This will remove
> > pressure everywhere but forces us to publish a docs.openstack.org/mitaka
> > page as well.
> > 4) Remove the version completely, instead point to docs.openstack.org
> > top level page. In that case, we should also remove the list of releases
> > from the navigation bar.
> > 5) Any other options we didn't think about?
> >
> > I'm in favor of option 4 since that avoids confusion and avoids last
> > minute changes.
>
> +1 to option 4. It's the least maintenance-heavy, and also less confusing
> for readers.

> - --
> Lana Brindley
> Technical Writer
> Rackspace Cloud Builders Australia
> http://lanabrindley.com

Best regards,
Olga Gusarenko

Technical Writer | Mirantis, Kharkiv | 38, Lenin av., Kharkiv, Ukraine
ogusarenko at mirantis.com | skype: gusarenko.olga | +38 (050) 843-14-25