[OpenStack-docs] No - offfline PDF docs

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Wed Jul 13 13:26:31 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 4:21 AM, DILIP KURUMANGHAT
<dilip.kurumanghat at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
> Would you please help in getting offline docs in PDF format.
> I do not find them anymore and all I could come up with wa docs in RST
> format from git.
> Would you please guide me on how to get PDF docs? or make a pdf doc from
> RST?
>
> Its a pity the openstack team decided to move away from maintaining a PDF
> set of docs?
> Did I miss something important in this transition to RST, other than better
> maintenance of docs?

We focused on the online experience first, but you are welcome to work
on PDF output. It would be helpful to start with a blueprint so we can
guide you and help you avoid any pitfalls.

The main tools are rst2pdf or making a latex file and creating PDF from that.

For further reading:
http://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/stable/intro.html
https://github.com/rst2pdf/rst2pdf

I'd also recommend looking at how Read the Docs builds PDF. Not sure
this is the exact starting point, but take a look at
https://github.com/rtfd/readthedocs.org/blob/fdf28e97fb161b02cb4b5d78f906a3c9df38209f/readthedocs/doc_builder/loader.py

Hope this helps -
Anne

> Thanks and regards,