[OpenStack-docs] Restructure HTML templates / CSS files used on docs.o.o and in openstackdocstheme

Christian Berendt christian at berendt.io
Tue Jan 19 11:42:25 UTC 2016

We want to use the same web design on openstack.org, docs.openstack.org
and all generated documents.

We use templates in openstackdocstheme and openstack-manuals repository
to adapt the design provided by openstack.org.

At the moment it is a hassle to keep them up to date. You have to check
openstack.org for changes, you have to modify the templates in the
openstackdocstheme and openstack-manuals repository. Also it is not
possible to sync the CSS files at the moment because we started to
modify the CSS files provided by openstack.org. So at the moment we have
different CSS files everywhere.

I want to propose to restructure the used HTML templates and CSS files
the follwing way:

* extract all CSS modifications from the files synced from openstack.org
and move them into a separate CSS file

* create a set of HTML template files that can be used in
openstackdocstheme and openstack-manuals

* use openstackdocstheme as master repository

* the extracted CSS modifications are not synced between
openstackdocstheme and openstack-manuals, because they are only
necessary for Sphinx

* create a sync job for the OpenStack proposal bot that syncs HTML
templates / CSS files from openstackdocstheme into openstack-manuals

What do you think about this?

Do we need a spec for this change?

I volunteer myself to take care of this change.

Christian.

--
Christian Berendt
Cloud Solution Architect