[OpenStack-docs] [infra][docs] Steps to migrate docs.o.o to new AFS based server

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Thu Dec 29 13:29:03 UTC 2016

On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 12:09 PM, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com> wrote:

> [cross-posting to both infra and docs mailing lists]
>
> We're running since several weeks developer.openstack.org using the
> OpenStack Infra server and I reviewed what is needed to make the final
> switch. An analysis of missing pages showed that only 4 repos have not
> been published (step 1 below), we need to copy those over.
>
> Once that is done, we can do the switch
>

> The following steps need to be done:
>
> 1) update some missing content since a few projects haven't published
>    content since we started:
>    http://users.suse.com/~aj/missing-docs.tar.bz2 is a copy from
>    docs.o.o that needs to be added to our AFS tree.

I looked at the files and seems fine. The project names are: pylockfile,
python-aodhclient, python-barbicanclient, python-cinderclient, and
python-manilaclient.

> 2) Change IP address of docs.openstack.org to point to the new site.
>
> 3) Create docs-archived.openstack.org pointing to the old CloudDocs
>    docs site so that we can still access any content that wasn't
>    published recently. Update 404 handler to point to docs-archived.

This is one step where I'm not sure how it works - but if you know what to
do it's all good.

Do we need to do any notification step to Cloud Sites through a ticket to
let them know the traffic will change? Might be good to let them know
proactively.

> Later (most can be done independently, so not using numbers), we should do:
>
> A) Set up https for docs.openstack.org and developer.openstack.org

> B) Stop publishing to CloudDocs site docs-archived but keep site as
>    is.
>    Archive all content on it.

Let me know if you need help with this step - not sure how this is done but
you can tell me and I'll do the work. :)

>    Remove docs-archived.openstack.org
>
> C) Stop publishing to old CloudDocs developer.openstack.org page (
>    https://review.openstack.org/415506 )
>
> D) Remove docs-beta and developer-beta aliases and IP addresses, those
>    are not needed anymore.
>
> Is anything missing?

When the change happens we should probably check the analytics the next day
to ensure collection is still happening smoothly. Might not be a step
exactly but it's B.1 and C.1 I suppose.

> Otherwise, let's move forward once an infra admin has time. Since we
> continue publishing to both sites for a time, we can always migrate back
> if needed.  Infra team, please go ahead if there's no veto - but let's
> not do it this year anymore;)

Good thinking and planning! Thanks a bunch.
Anne

> Andreas
> --
>  Andreas Jaeger aj@{suse.com,opensuse.org} Twitter: jaegerandi
>   SUSE LINUX GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany
>    GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton,
>        HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)
>     GPG fingerprint = 93A3 365E CE47 B889 DF7F  FED1 389A 563C C272 A126

Read my blog: justwrite.click <https://justwriteclick.com>
Subscribe to Docs|Code: docslikecode.com