[OpenStack-docs] Install Tutorial Landing Page Design Elements

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Tue Dec 6 14:06:13 UTC 2016

Hi again all,

Wanted to follow up on this thread.

The next step is for Lana to work with Piet from UX to find points where
users have difficulty with that page specifically. Any redesign of the
overall look-and-feel will come later.

The Foundation is working on a style guide for web pages. That'll come
closer to the PTG. Perhaps we can have a deeper discussion there.

Anne

On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 6:29 PM, Lana Brindley <openstack at lanabrindley.com>
wrote:

> Hi Heidi,
>
> Just wanted to follow up on this, as I hadn't heard from you yet.
>
> Thanks,
> Lana
>
> On 04/11/16 12:15, Lana Brindley wrote:
> > Hi Heidi,
> >
> > As you may already know, docs redesigned how we create and publish the
> Install Guides in Newton.  Now, each big tent project can use our
> 'cookie-cutter' to create and maintain their own Install Guide, and we
> publish them up to our new Install Guide landing page, here:
> http://docs.openstack.org/project-install-guide/newton/ For the long
> version of that story, you can see this SuperUser article:
> http://superuser.openstack.org/articles/turning-
> openstack-install-guide-head/ or the first lightning talk here:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TYyjrXX-Ec
> >
> > Sadly, the landing page we have now is pretty ugly and hard to use, and
> we've got a goal to fix this in Ocata. The reason I'm emailing is because I
> wanted to find out from you  if the design elements we're currently using
> on the docs page (things like the little cartoon characters, etc) are still
> the right way to be doing things. Are there new design elements we should
> be thinking about, maybe in conjunction with the mascots? Also, do you have
> a designer on Foundation payroll that we can work with to do something
> truly awesome?
> >
> > I've cc'd Piet, as he's interested in helping us improve the ux and
> making sure we get that aspect corrrect, but any access to design resources
> you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Lana

> Lana Brindley
> Technical Writer
> Rackspace Cloud Builders Australia
> http://lanabrindley.com

Anne Gentle
--
Read my blog: justwrite.click <https://justwriteclick.com>
Subscribe to Docs|Code: docslikecode.com