[OpenStack-docs] Change of doc publishing

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Fri Aug 26 12:40:31 UTC 2016

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 10:54 PM, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com> wrote:

> On 08/26/2016 04:07 AM, Lana Brindley wrote:
> > On 24/08/16 06:14, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> >> Hi Docs team,
> >>
> >> some time ago, we discussed with the infra team to move docs publishing
> >> for developer.openstack.org and docs.openstack.org from RackSpace
> >> CloudSites to pages under OpenStack Infra control.
> >>
> >> At that time the following spec was written but never implemented:
> >> http://specs.openstack.org/openstack-infra/infra-specs/
> specs/doc-publishing.html
> >>
> >> Now, the infra team is planning to take this on  - and Jim Blair updated
> >> the specs to use AFS (Andrew File System) for it:
> >>
> >> https://review.openstack.org/276482
> >
> > Yay!
> >

> >> A side benefit of the proposed spec is that stale files can get removed.
> >
> > More yay!
> >

> >> Since docs.openstack.org is mainly controlled by us, I'd like us all to
> >> review the spec and comment.
> >
> > I have now done this thing.
> >

> >> Also, there's the question of migration and policy on retaining old
> >> documentation. Right now for our own documents, we remove (disable/add
> >> redirects) - but for projects, we keep them around forever. As an
> >> example, take a look at this document from December 2012:
> >> http://docs.openstack.org/developer/cinder/2012.2.1/
> >>
> >> Note that it's very difficult to regenerate such old content - and
> >> nobody knows about it since there are no direct links to it.
> >>
> >> So, moving forward, what policy do you suggest to have on content:
> >>
> >> * Support all old releases - or only the active branches (with some
> >> grace period), so right now Liberty, Mitaka, Master (and perhaps Kilo
> >> for grace period)?
> >
> > I like the idea of just migrating and supporting current releases. Will
> we have some way of archiving old content in a static way somehow, though?
>
> What do we want?
>
> We have already removed old content for our *own* documents in the past
> - but not for other projects.

In other documentation scenarios, a legal team would tell us when we can
remove documents due to contracts in place or other terms of service types
of needs.

In our case, the closest equivalent is our end-of-life policy, about 2
years after a release. I'd be comfortable with an archive policy that keeps
all documents (project repos, openstack-manuals, api-site) for two years
and then backs them up to a storage area that is not accessible from the
web.

Lana, I believe you should review that with legal and the Foundation.
There's the legal-discuss mailing list to get that started.

> I don't think it makes sense to even archive documents from 2012.

I disagree. I'd like some legal consultation here.

> >> * Migrate *all* content? Or only the content as specified above? Or
> >> start with a clean slate and let the site get filled for a few weeks
> >> from generated content?
> >> * Continue to support only official OpenStack projects (as listed in
> >> governance repo)?
> >> * ...
> >>
> >> What are the best policies here? What did I miss?
>
> So, who wants to propose some policy?

I believe it depends on the archive policy establishment, since it's
possible we use Cloud Sites for archive only. I believe the system should
continue to support only official projects.

Thanks for doing all this!
Anne

> >> Btw. Jim is looking for volunteers to help with the spec, if you're
> >> interested in a task, please comment on the review and sign up,
> >
> > Thanks for the update, Andreas. I've added a small note into this week's
> newsletter on this topic too.
>
> Andreas
>
> --
>  Andreas Jaeger aj@{suse.com,opensuse.org} Twitter/Identica: jaegerandi
>   SUSE LINUX GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany
>    GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton,
>        HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)
>     GPG fingerprint = 93A3 365E CE47 B889 DF7F  FED1 389A 563C C272 A126

Anne Gentle
www.justwriteclick.com