[OpenStack-docs] Deprecation of custom semantic markup

Lana Brindley openstack at lanabrindley.com
Wed Oct 14 22:53:36 UTC 2015

On 14/10/15 23:25, Anne Gentle wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 8:00 AM, Olga Gusarenko <ogusarenko at mirantis.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Sorry for jumping in behind time, but I have some
>> question/suggestions/thoughts.
>>
>> I am working on the RST section of the Contributor Guide and included the
>> semantic markups subsection as a part of it:
>>
>>    -
>>    https://review.openstack.org/#/c/232966/5/doc/contributor-guide/source/rst-conv/inline-markups.rst
>>
>> It lists some semantic roles available in Sphinx:
>>
>>    - program (for a software application)
>>    - code
>>    - command
>>    - file
>>    - term
>>    - guilabel
>>    - kbd (for a Keyboard key combination)
>>    - menuselection (for a menu sequence)
>>    - option
>>    - samp (for a variable part of a code fragment)
>>
>> As far as I am concerned, we cannot replace, for example, the command role
>> with double backticks as they look differently when built: commands are
>> displayed in bold face while the double backticks stand for a monospaced
>> piece of text. The same applies to almost any of the roles listed above.
>>
>> So, we need either to change this syntax throughout all the RST
>> documentation and never use semantic markup at all; or configure Sphinx (if
>> possible) to apply the same style to all of them when built, as this will
>> definitely not add readability to our documentation if the pieces of text
>> with the same semantic meaning are built differently on the same page.
>>

> I think that for translators, the list at
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/I18nTeam/rst-markups needs to be followed
> because the translators have been using those conventions for what to
> translate and what to leave in the original language.

Only remove semantic markup where the output doesn't need to be something different. So, for monospaced font, you'll still need the semantic markup. Also, if I recall, we're not going to retroactively remove (or decline patches over) semantic markup. It's there to use if people choose to.

Definitely make sure we're not stepping on translators' toes, too.

- --
Lana Brindley
Technical Writer
Rackspace Cloud Builders Australia