[OpenStack-docs] Sphinx error when building in openstack-manuals

Bernd Bausch berndbausch at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 10:21:56 UTC 2015

My goal is to add a page to openstack-manuals (it describes policy.json).
While its best location would be the configuration guide, there is only one
directory with RST files, "playground-user-guide". So I put it there.

Maven is not interested in the playground, since there is no pom.xml.
Therefore, I run Sphinx directly.

1- add policy.rst to openstack-manuals/doc/playground-user-guide/source
2- add it to the table of contents in index.rst
3- in the source directory, "sphinx-build -b html . my-output-directory"

Sphinx throws this at me:

File
"/home/bbausch/openstack/policy/openstack-manuals/doc/playground-user-guide/
sphinx-ext/scope.py", line 32, in builder_inited
    path = os.path.join(app.env.srcdir, doc + app.env.config.source_suffix)
TypeError: coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer, list found

When I remove the "scope" extension from conf.py, sphinx-build completes
successfully. I doubt this is the solution, though.

I guess I miss something somewhere. What could it be?

Bernd
OpenStack apprentice