[OpenStack-docs] [ha-guide] Observations from mid-cycle ops meetup

Matt Kassawara mkassawara at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 20:44:00 UTC 2015

I went to the mid-cycle ops meeting for a better idea of the HA methods
implemented by operators. Most seem to agree on Galera with MariaDB/MySQL,
RabbitMQ active-passive/active-active (some using a load balancer and
others configuring services to use each node directly), Memcached
active/active (via Oslo hash synchronization), and OpenStack APIs via
hardware or HAProxy load balancer. On the other hand, networking drifted
all over the place. Some people live and die by nova-net and won't move to
neutron until it 100% mirrors the multi-host functionality with
fixed/floating IP addresses, others use neutron but only with provider
networks, most don't quite trust DVR/L3HA yet, and a few implement custom
code with nova-net or neutron. For networking in the HA guide, I mostly
suggest referencing the networking guide scenarios rather than suggesting a
particular architecture. However, we should also mention them in the
introduction somewhere because different architectures may impact the
minimum number and type of nodes.