[OpenStack-docs] Newbie request for help - Jenkins merge conflict

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Tue Mar 3 02:45:06 UTC 2015

On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 8:04 PM, Bernd Bausch <berndbausch at gmail.com> wrote:

> After submitting a partial fix to an openstackdocstheme bug, Jenkins tells
> me that there is a merge conflict (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/160151).
> At this point, I am stuck – I don’t understand what conflict there is.

What happens is due to other collaborators working on the master branch,
our automated robots making software realized that your patch will no
longer merge cleanly with the master branch, so it's letting you know.

The specific instructions you want are in here:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/HowTo#How_to_amend_a_review-in-progress

Then, you want to rebase it yourself to take a look. Because it needs human
eyes at this point, the robots are done.

I've walked through a rebase for other contributors, so I've attached that
as a PDF file. It's for openstack-manuals repo, but just substitute
openstackdocstheme.

First, I have to admit that my experience with git and collaborative
open-source development are close to zero. Also, I didn’t quite follow the
instructions at https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/HowTo;
namely, I failed to create my own branch.

To continue, I need answers to these questions:

- where is detailed information about the conflict?

It'll be in your local work area once you follow the attached instructions.

- how do I continue from here?

You can give the rebase a try locally, or I can rebase it for you, really
either way works. The beauty of collaboration and git.

- if I need to start from scratch, how do I remove my fix?

No need to remove your fix -- we can get it working again. If you ever do
want to stop working on a patch, then you can use the "Abandon Change"
button, but no need for that yet.

And an overarching question:

- should I do this at all, given my inexperience?
Oh, absolutely, it's super cool to see the stuff other people are doing to
clobber, er, collaborate on your patch! :) I kid, I kid. A rebase is part
of the adjustment most people have to do with git workflows, so might as
well get it over with. :) See how far you get with the attached PDF, and
keep asking good questions here, thanks!

Anne

  (encouragement welcome :)

Cheers,

Bernd