[OpenStack-docs] API Reference gen questions

Russell Sim russell.sim at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 14:38:17 UTC 2015

Sorry must have replied at the same time :)

On 29 June 2015 at 23:50, Anne Gentle <annegentle at justwriteclick.com> wrote:

> I'll attempt to answer as if it's a quiz and then Russell can tell us
> what's right and wrong when he gets back online Aussie time. :)
>
> On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 8:03 AM, Karen Bradshaw <kbhawkey at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi, Russell.  I just started to look at this code but thought of a few
>> questions,
>> 1) How did you validate the generated swagger-json files?
>>

> Typically you'd use the JSON schema from Swagger itself, see
> https://github.com/swagger-api/swagger-spec/blob/master/schemas/v2.0/schema.json
>
> However he noted the need for a new schema, which you mention below.

Ah, that kinda validaiton.   Well standard Swagger can be validated using
JSONSchema
https://github.com/swagger-api/swagger-spec/blob/master/schemas/v2.0/schema.json

We will probably have to make our own copy of this and modify it to support
our changes.

> 2) Did you create a new schema, Swagger 2.0-OpenStack?  What
>> does it look like?
>>

> It doesn't exist yet, so we'll need to make it.

I'm not sure we will need many more modifications than the ones I have
listed in the email sent recently. It really depends if we want to do
anything fancy.  But yes we should probably formally define what it is.
But hopefully no one will ever have to deal with it, because it will be
generated.

3) Can you elaborate a bit more about the tagging system?

> I think Tags in Swagger are per-route. A route is a method (like GET or
> POST) plus a path (like {tenant_id}/servers/detail).
>
> However we have groups of Tags for say, "Servers" that has a lot of
> conceptual information in it:
> http://developer.openstack.org/api-ref-compute-v2.html#compute_servers So
> we need a way to group Tags so that we can insert the conceptual
> information where it makes sense.

Spot on.

> And yes, I believe that's the "narrative doc" we talked about at the
> Summit.

Now I also understand what that means.  OK cool.

--
Cheers,
Russell Sim