[OpenStack-docs] What's Up, Doc? 12 June 2015

Lana Brindley mail at lanabrindley.com
Fri Jun 12 06:03:46 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

This week, I've been spending some time in the dustier corners of our
bug list. Do you know we currently have over 500 bugs open?! Scroll down
to the bottom of this newsletter for more on what we're going to do
about that.

If you have content you would like to add, or you would like to be added
to the distribution list, please email me directly at
openstack at lanabrindley.com. If you want to see my early drafts and
typos, or check on old newsletters, you can do so here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/w/index.php?title=Documentation/WhatsUpDoc

== Progress towards Liberty ==

* RST conversion:
** Install Guide: Spec is merged, stand by for conversion to start
** Cloud Admin Guide: has been started! Get in touch with Brian or Joe,
or sign up here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Migrate#Cloud_Admin_Guide_Migration
** HA Guide: is also underway! Get in touch with Meg or Matt:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/HA_Guide_Update
** Security Guide: the security team are also converting the Security
Guide for this release. Stand by for more info.
* User Guides information architecture overhaul
** Waiting on the RST conversion of the Cloud Admin Guide to be complete
* Greater focus on helping out devs with docs in their repo
** Discussion with the Ironic team was started this week. We need a
Speciality Team to take on this work.
* Improve how we communicate with and support our corporate contributors
** No progress this week
* Improve communication with Docs Liaisons
** The current list of liaisons is available here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/CrossProjectLiaisons#Documentation
** I will be contacting liaisons shortly to discuss ways to improve
* Clearing out old bugs
** I went through and pruned a lot of two- and three-year old bugs from
the list. Please review and re open any you think still require tracking.
** As part of this effort, I will be picking out a few old bugs to be
spotlighted in each newsletter. Please take a look as they come up and
see what you can do to help!

== RST Migration ==

The next books we are focusing on for RST conversion are the Install
Guide, Cloud Admin Guide, HA Guide, and the Security Guide. If you would
like to assist, please get in touch with the appropriate speciality team:

* Install Guide:
** Contact Karin Levenstein <karin.levenstein at rackspace.com>
** Spec: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/183138/
** Watch this space:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Migrate#Installation_Guide_Migration

* Cloud Admin Guide:
** Contact Brian Moss <kallimachos at gmail.com> & Joseph Robinson
<joseph.r.email at gmail.com>
** Blueprint:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+spec/reorganise-user-guides
** Sign up to help out here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Migrate#Cloud_Admin_Guide_Migration

* HA Guide
** Contact Meg McRoberts <dreidellhasa at yahoo.com> or Matt Griffin
<me at mattgriffin.com>
** Blueprint:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+spec/improve-ha-guide

* Security Guide
** Contact Nathaniel Dillon <nathaniel.dillon at hp.com>
** Bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1463111
** Blueprint+Spec: TBD

For books that are now being converted, don't forget that any change you
make to the XML must also be made to the RST version until conversion is
complete. Our lovely team of cores will be keeping an eye out to make
sure loose changes to XML don't pass the gate, but try to help them out
by pointing out both patches in your reviews.

== RST Common Files ==

We're coming across some build issues in the RST books with common
files. If you have a common file in the ToC of a guide, please move it
into the source file of that guide to prevent build issues. Using
:orphan: directive marking on the file can also prevent sphinx marking
the doc as an error.

== Bug triaging ==

This week, the core team have noticed a lot of patches that have had to
be cancelled, because they were fixing untriaged bugs. If you want to
work on a bug, be sure that a core reviewer has triaged it before you
create a patch. This will stop you spending time on patches that might
not get accepted. We should now have core team available in most
timezones, so if you need a bug looked at so you can get started
quickly, ping the docs IRC channel, and a core should be around to help
you out.

== Doc team meeting ==

The APAC meeting was held this week, see the minutes here to catch up:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/MeetingLogs#2015-06-10

Next meetings are:
US: Wednesday 17 June, 14:00:00 UTC
APAC: Wednesday 24 June, 00:30:00 UTC

Please go ahead and add any agenda items to the meeting page here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/DocTeamMeeting#Agenda_for_next_meeting

== Spotlight bugs for this week ==

This is a way of trying to get some eyeballs on old bugs, in an attempt
to pay down some of our technical debt. Kudos to Tom Fifield who helped
me work out what to do about them! Each week, I'll spotlight a few old
bugs here for people to go and look at and determine if they're still
valid or not. Please check out these bugs, let's have a conversation (in
the bug comments), and if you can close them, do so! To make this
slightly more exciting, I'll be attempting to keep track of who is
closing these old bugs, and will see if I can't put together a little
care package to send the way of anyone who makes a real difference here.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1195875 Controller
Callbacks

https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1201978 Pluggable
Remote User