[OpenStack-docs] [networking] OpenStack network terminology

lorinh at gmail.com lorinh at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 13:58:44 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 6:44 AM, Jonathan Proulx <jon at jonproulx.com> wrote:

> "provider networks" are created by the service provider.  In my case
> these are layer2 VLANs though again I think they could be overlays in
> other deploys.
>
> "external networks" I don't use so fuzzier than the others, I think
> they are definitionally also "provider networks" but my certainty on
> that is low.  They are definitely networks that have externally routed
> connectivity and are typically used for L3 agents (routers) and
> floating IP pools in my understanding.

Ah, I didn't realize there was a distinction between the two. From your
description, It does sound like external networks are a subset of provider
networks, but it would be good to get somebody else to chime in on this.
Out of curiosity, what's your use case for using provider networks that
aren't externally routable?

Lorin