[OpenStack-docs] [networking] OpenStack network terminology

Jonathan Proulx jon at jonproulx.com
Fri Jun 5 13:44:58 UTC 2015

There's actually 3 types of networks....hopefully someone can provide
more correct definitions than I have here:

"tenant networks" and "project networks" are the same and should
converge (my vote is for "project"), these are networks created by (or
for) individual projects.  Not sure if this is 100% the case but in my
world these are overlay networks (VXLAN or GRE)

"provider networks" are created by the service provider.  In my case
these are layer2 VLANs though again I think they could be overlays in
other deploys.

"external networks" I don't use so fuzzier than the others, I think
they are definitionally also "provider networks" but my certainty on
that is low.  They are definitely networks that have externally routed
connectivity and are typically used for L3 agents (routers) and
floating IP pools in my understanding.

-Jon