[OpenStack-docs] What's Up, Doc? 5 June 2015

Lana Brindley openstack at lanabrindley.com
Fri Jun 5 02:16:24 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

With our Kilo branch now cut, we're running headlong into the Liberty
development cycle! And don't forget to have your say on what the M
release should be called:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Release_Naming/M_Proposals

If you have content you would like to add, or you would like to be added
to the distribution list, please email me directly at
openstack at lanabrindley.com. I've also decided to start drafting these
'in the open' (as it were). If you want to see my early drafts and
typos, or check on old newsletters, you can do so here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/w/index.php?title=Documentation/WhatsUpDoc

== Progress towards Liberty ==

* RST conversion:
** Install Guide: there's now a spec awaiting review:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/183138/
** Cloud Admin Guide: has been started! Get in touch with Brian or Joe,
or sign up here:
[[https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Migrate#Cloud_Admin_Guide_Migration]]
** HA Guide: is also underway! Get in touch with Meg or Matt:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/HA_Guide_Update
* User Guides information architecture overhaul
** Waiting on the RST conversion of the Cloud Admin Guide to be complete
* Greater focus on helping out devs with docs in their repo
** No progress this week
* Improve how we communicate with and support our corporate contributors
** I met with Alison of Oracle to discuss how we can help out their team
* Improve communication with Cross Team Liaisons
** The current list of liaisons is available here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/CrossProjectLiaisons#Documentation
** I will be contacting CPLs shortly to discuss ways to improve

== Kilo Branching ==

Thanks to Andreas, Anne, and Tom for getting the Stable/Kilo branch
completed this week. With this, Kilo is now complete* and patches for
the Install Guide and the Config Reference will now be against Liberty
unless you specifically backport a change to Kilo. You can do this by
committing to master with the line ''Backport: Kilo'' in your commit
message. Remember that all other book are continuously integrated, and
this isn't necessary.

[*] Anne: feel free to go have a lie down ;)

== RST Migration ==

The next books we are focusing on for RST conversion are the Install
Guide, Cloud Admin Guide, and the HA Guide. If you would like to assist,
please get in touch with the appropriate speciality team.

* Install Guide:
** Contact Karin Levenstein <karin.levenstein at rackspace.com>
** Blueprint:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+spec/installguide-liberty
** Spec WIP: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/183138/

* Cloud Admin Guide:
** Contact Brian Moss <kallimachos at gmail.com> & Joseph Robinson
<joseph.r.email at gmail.com>
** Blueprint:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+spec/reorganise-user-guides
** Sign up to help out here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Migrate#Cloud_Admin_Guide_Migration

* HA Guide
** Contact Meg McRoberts <dreidellhasa at yahoo.com> or Matt Griffin
<matt.griffin at percona.com>
** Blueprint:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+spec/improve-ha-guide

For books that are now being converted, don't forget that any change you
make to the XML must also be made to the RST version until conversion is
complete. Our lovely team of cores will be keeping an eye out to make
sure loose changes to XML don't pass the gate, but try to help them out
by pointing out both patches in your reviews.

== New Core Reviewer Process ==

We did our first monthly round of Core Team review this week, and would
like to welcome our newest core team member, Darren Chan. We also bid a
fond farewell to Summer Long and Bryan Payne, who have been great core
team members and contributors, but have now moved on to other
adventures. We sincerely thank them both for their commitment over the
time they were core.

The new core process is documented here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/HowTo#Achieving_core_reviewer_status
The next round will be around 1 July.

== Doc team meeting ==

The US meeting was held this week, see the minutes here to catch up:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/MeetingLogs#2015-06-03

Thanks Shilla for running the US team meeting!

Next meetings are:
APAC: Wednesday 10 June, 00:30:00 UTC
US: Wednesday 17 June, 14:00:00 UTC

Please go ahead and add any agenda items to the meeting page here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/DocTeamMeeting#Agenda_for_next_meeting

Thanks!
Lana

- --