[OpenStack-docs] [networking] OpenStack network terminology

lorinh at gmail.com lorinh at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 00:19:34 UTC 2015

Hi all:

(Apologies if this topic has been covered before, it's been a while since
I've contributed to OpenStack docs).

While looking at the network guide, I noticed some inconsistent terminology
used to describe the two types of networks you can create using the
OpenStack Networking APIs.

This section refers to these two networks as "tenant networks" and
"provider networks":
http://docs.openstack.org/networking-guide/intro_os_networking_overview.html#openstack-networking-concepts

This scenario refers to them as "project networks" and "external networks":
http://docs.openstack.org/networking-guide/deploy_scenario2.html

The install guide uses the terms "tenant networks" and "external networks".
http://docs.openstack.org/kilo/install-guide/install/apt/content/neutron-initial-networks.html

I think it would reduce confusion to use the same terminology everywhere,
especially within the networking guide, but ultimately across all of the
docs.

Take care,

Lorin