[OpenStack-docs] Admin Guide versioning

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Mon Jun 1 07:30:07 UTC 2015

I would like to insert a clarification here regarding the difference
between "support" and "removal of content".

Essentially: the documentation team needs to be more lenient in removing
old versions than the software projects :) We don't need to update old
versions, and would respond to any queries to do so with "sorry, it's
not supported", but the stuff still needs to be online and accessible
for some time.

The reason for this is, for essentially no cost*, we have the unique
ability to make a positive impact in the approximately one-third of
users that are running an unsupported release.

Though they would no longer be able to get support upstream, have any
feature requests or bug fixes, they should be able to still use the
cloud they have to the best of their ability until such time as they can
upgrade.

On a related note, I have re-opened the bug regarding the difficulty our
readers have in terms of finding the correct version of the document for
their cloud (https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1191447
), since this issue is ongoing and continues to be reported.

Your views on how we can continue to best serve our community of users
across all versions that they choose to use are appreciated!

Regards,

Tom

* Assuming the bug mentioned is fixed, the main cost is telling a small
number of people "no, we don't support that" on the bug tracker if they
lodge something. Probably not worth mentioning web hosting costs, since
they're so small regardless ;)