[OpenStack-docs] move of documentation-related wiki content

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Wed Jul 1 08:56:05 UTC 2015

On 07/01/2015 10:33 AM, Olga Gusarenko wrote:
> Hi to everyone!
>
> I am rising this thread again because I am willing to be involved in the
> matter if the community decides in favour of the proposed change, cause
> I am strongly convinced that it can improve the doc contributors'
> experience. Lets finally dot all the 'i's =)
>
> I have already discussed the matter with Lana, took into consideration
> your opinions (you have kindly mailed in this thread), and here is what
> I came up with.
>
> *Problem Description*
>
> Basing on my own experience and the experience of my colleagues, the
> information for the docs contributors located on wiki sometimes contains
> outdated info and can be improved by restructuring.
>
> *Proposed Solution*
>
> We propose to initiate the creation of the Documentation Contributors
> Guide targeted at the contributors to the OpenStack documentation that
> will cover the following issues:
>
>   * Markup conventions
>   * Terminology and writing syntax conventions
>   * Screenshots and topologies conventions
>   * Documentation structure
>   * Gerrit workflow (HowTo)

The gerrit workflow should really be part of the infra-manual. Let's
avoid duplication with that one.

>   * /anything else interesting to the community /
>
> *What To Be Done*
>
> This task can be resolved in two steps:
>
> /_STEP 1:_/ moving the cleaned up content from wiki.
>
> As we are treating our documentation as the code and willing others to
> do so, we propose to relocate all the conventions, how to instructions
> and any docs contributor-related things to 'somewhere'. probably
> tohttp://docs.openstack.org/infra <http://docs.openstack.org/infra> (as
> this was proposed earlier by Christian) as a single-entry, full, and
> neatly organized guide that answers questions that arise in the docs
> creation workflow.

> The wiki is definitely not much convenient, it has narrowed
> functionality and lacks a number of features that have become essential
> part of any internet user nowadays, such as search, proper navigation,
> and some others.
>
> Moving things aroundwill noways influence its openness to the community
> or make the conventions less flexible. This will only unify and simplify
> the process. Besides, the docs contributor guide should be definitely
> treated more seriously by the contributors than things placed in wiki.
>
> /_STEP 2:_/ discuss and add the content that's missing from the
> 'I-am-a-contributor' position.
>
> *Problems to Discuss*
>
> Lets answer the main questions and plan the future basing on the
> decision made:
>
> 1. The first and the most important question is:
>
> *Documentation Contributor Guide: to be or not to be? *

I'd love to see this - but only as long as there's a small team
dedicated to move everything from the wiki.

I also like to see a spec for this effort to design what we want.

> 2. Where is the most appropriate location for it?
>
> I agree that http://docs.openstack.org/infra is the best place, but
> before taking any steps in this direction, we should thoroughly discuss
> what kind of content this should include with the its owner, and find a
> compromise. Jeremy, did I understand your point right?

We can easily publish anywhere where it fits, the URL is for me just
cosmetics. I don't think that /infra is the best fit.

Looking at your question, the question becomes more: Do we move some
parts to infra-manual (docs.openstack.org/infra/manual) and some to our
own place and link between the two? Or what's the relationship between
what you propose and infra-manual.

Do we want to do this work as part of an existing repository -
docs-specs and openstack-manuals come to mind for that - or create a new
one?

> Thank you all for reading this up to the end, and for any feedback on
> the matter!

Thanks, Olga for moving this forward!

Andreas