[OpenStack-docs] process for adding content for new platform systemz?

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Sat Jan 31 16:18:42 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 6:08 AM, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com> wrote:

> On 01/29/2015 11:52 AM, Markus Zoeller wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm part of a team which enables the IBM system z platform for
> > OpenStack [1]. To be precisely, libvirt/KVM. This will need additional
> > content in the manuals. We are currently aware of two changes:
> > * doc/common/section_kvm_enable.xml   (change 1 line)
> > * doc/install-guide/section_nova-compute-install.xml   (add ~35 lines)
>
> The Install Guide covers KVM on x86-64 since that's the most common
> platform, anything else is covered - as Matt explained - in the other
> guides.
>
> > Q: As far as I understand [2] we wouldn't need a blueprint nor a bug for
> >    this, is that right?

Thanks for asking! No need for a blueprint, unless you wanted to push the
idea of multiple hardware types in the install guide, and I don't suggest
it. :) The Cloud Admin Guide and Configuration Guide are the right places
for this info.

> > Q: When we discover additional changes in the next weeks, should we
> >    simply just add them chunk by chunk?
>
> We prefer smaller patches than one huge one ;)

Yes, much easier on the reviewers. :) Also, do you expect to have hardware
available for testing (by reviewers) or are you testing the docs
yourselves? Testing is the most difficult and time consuming so hopefully
you can take that on.

> Andreas
>
> > Thanks in advance for any help.
> >
> > [1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/libvirt-kvm-systemz
> > [2]
> >
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/HowTo#When_to_write_a_blueprint_description_in_docs-specs
> >

> > Regards,
> > Markus Zoeller
> > IRC: markus_z
> > Launchpad: mzoeller

>  Andreas Jaeger aj@{suse.com,opensuse.org} Twitter/Identica: jaegerandi
>   SUSE LINUX GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany
>    GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Jennifer Guild, Dilip Upmanyu,
>        Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)
>     GPG fingerprint = 93A3 365E CE47 B889 DF7F  FED1 389A 563C C272 A126

Anne Gentle
annegentle at justwriteclick.com