[OpenStack-docs] [training-guides] List of patches that will start the ball rolling again

Roger Luethi rl at patchworkscience.org
Tue Jan 27 10:46:02 UTC 2015

On Mon, 26 Jan 2015 19:01:20 +0000, Matjaz Pancur wrote:
> This “wait-for-icehouse-branching” delay is way too long. We were talking
> on today’s IRC meeting that we should just start reviewing/merging and
> not wait on the branching process anymore, since it can be done on an
> arbitrary commit anyway.

There is one catch, though: after we merge the first Juno-only patch, we
can no longer easily merge patches destined for both Icehouse and Juno (we
would have to backport them). Therefore, it would be good to know if the
patches under review are Juno-only or also good for Icehouse.

FWIW, my patches are all for Icehouse and Juno, and I will not submit
Juno-only patches until a) the Juno branch is cut or b) a patch that is
clearly Juno-only has been merged.

> Here is the list of patches we should review/merge to get the ball rolling:
>
> * all of the Sean’s XML-to-RST series:

I reordered them and added a note on what they do (from the commit message)
and the files they create:

> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/141226/

[creates directory structure]
creates landslide structure for the guides

This landslide structure brings a whole lot of redundancy: identical
files in four copies. As long as we only have the associate-guide, we
only need the structure for one guide, so we could merge a patch limited
to that. Once we have a second guide, we need a better structure with
less redundancy.

> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/142259/

01-getting-started.rst
convert associate guide chapter 1 XML to RST
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/142184/

02-associate-getting-started-quiz.rst
convert associate guide chapter 2 XML to RST
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/141236/

03-controller-node.rst
convert associate guide chapter 3 XML to RST
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/142290/

04-associate-controller-node-quiz.rst
convert associate guide chapter 4 XML to RST
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/142333/

06-associate-compute-node-quiz.rst
convert associate guide chapter 6 XML to RST
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/142344/

07-associate-network-node.rst
convert associate guide chapter 7 XML to RST
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/142339/

08-associate-network-node-quiz.rst
convert associate guide chapter 8 XML to RST
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/142350/

09-object-storage-node.rst
convert associate guide chapter 9 XML to RST

Looks like chapter 5 is missing. Also, the file names are not consistent
(e.g. 03-controller-node.rst vs. 07-associate-network-node.rst).

IMO each conversion patch should remove the XML file it replaces; we
want to reduce redundancy, not add to it.

RST files in OpenStack repos are line-wrapped at 80 characters, but these
converted files are not.

The converted files are supposed to be slides (similar to the
upstream-training slides), but they are not. They look like books split
into slide-sized bits (and even then, several slides have content
overflowing). The proposed 01-getting-started.rst is 50 KB! This would not
give us any of the benefits we were hoping for when we decided to replace
books with slides.

Roger