[OpenStack-docs] How to alienate contributors and tick off people

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Feb 20 18:50:54 UTC 2015

On 2015-02-20 12:52:40 -0500 (-0500), Nick Chase wrote:
[...]
> To solve this problem, I would like to suggest that rather than
> -1'ing the patch, these patches be approved with an understanding
> that a separate bug will be filed to "clean up" the content.
[...]

What I tend to do (for Infra patches, so YMMV) is if the patch is
fine other than a few cosmetic nits, I upload the corrections I
would like to see and then +2 my update. If there was already an
existing +2 on the change then I also approve when I do that and
just leave a comment that I made cosmetic improvements and was
basing approval on another core reviewer's +2 from the prior
patchset. This both short-circuits the delays from back-and-forth
over mostly inconsequential polish, while also placing the burden on
_me_ as a reviewer to solve the problems I have with the patch that
perhaps another core reviewer wasn't quite so deterred by.
--
Jeremy Stanley