[OpenStack-docs] HA and Install Guide - Request for SPEC

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Tue Feb 17 07:50:03 UTC 2015

On 02/17/2015 08:05 AM, Meg McRoberts wrote:
> Apologies for not sending more context here.  Short answer is that I
> don't think we have
> a problem.
>
> Our current working strategy is to have a separate HA Installation
> Guide, but we do not
> want to needlessly duplicate information that is in the Installation
> Guide so we will link
> to specific sections of the Install Guide for steps that are identical
> for HA and non-HA
> installations, in the appropriate order.
>
> The current etherpad document is the outline of the "clean" Install
> Guide, annotated with
> links to the current HA Guide just to facilitate our discussion.  We
> need to start with the list
> of steps to take, in order, to install HA OpenStack.  Then we identify
> the tasks that are
> identical for HA and non-HA, and what is left are the steps we will
> write up for the HA Install
> Guide, along with a bit of conceptual and introductory material.
>
> We should indeed write up a spec when we have a better definition of the
> HA Guide.  But I
> think we are all in favor of the "clean" Install Guide.  We should have
> a discussion about how
> much linking the Install Guide has to the HA Install Guide.  I think one
> link at the beginning
> is a good idea:  "If you are setting up a production, highly available
> OpenStack environment,
> see <link-to-HA-install-Guide>."
>
> Whether we want additional links is a topic for discussion.  For
> example, in the Install Guide
> material for setting up MySQL, do we want a link that says, "If you are
> setting up an HA environment,
> follow the instructions in <link-to-HA-guide-section-about-MySQL> rather
> than these instructions."

> Install Guide but should
> not significantly modify the clean Install Guide.
>
> Does this clarify the situation and does it seem like the right direction?

Thanks for writing this up! Yes, this helps a lot - and now raises the
question what you plan to do with the existing HA guide (as you noted) ;)

I really like that we can share the architecture and concept of the
Install Guide with the HA Install Guide.

   GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Jennifer Guild, Dilip Upmanyu,
       Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)