[OpenStack-docs] HA and Install Guide - Request for SPEC

Meg McRoberts dreidellhasa at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 17 07:05:38 UTC 2015

Apologies for not sending more context here.  Short answer is that I don't think we havea problem.
Our current working strategy is to have a separate HA Installation Guide, but we do notwant to needlessly duplicate information that is in the Installation Guide so we will linkto specific sections of the Install Guide for steps that are identical for HA and non-HAinstallations, in the appropriate order.
The current etherpad document is the outline of the "clean" Install Guide, annotated withlinks to the current HA Guide just to facilitate our discussion.  We need to start with the listof steps to take, in order, to install HA OpenStack.  Then we identify the tasks that areidentical for HA and non-HA, and what is left are the steps we will write up for the HA InstallGuide, along with a bit of conceptual and introductory material.
We should indeed write up a spec when we have a better definition of the HA Guide.  But Ithink we are all in favor of the "clean" Install Guide.  We should have a discussion about howmuch linking the Install Guide has to the HA Install Guide.  I think one link at the beginningis a good idea:  "If you are setting up a production, highly available OpenStack environment,see <link-to-HA-install-Guide>."

Whether we want additional links is a topic for discussion.  For example, in the Install Guidematerial for setting up MySQL, do we want a link that says, "If you are setting up an HA environment,follow the instructions in <link-to-HA-guide-section-about-MySQL> rather than these instructions."
Does this clarify the situation and does it seem like the right direction?meg