[OpenStack-docs] [install-guide][manila] Manila install guide

Matt Kassawara mkassawara at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 20:30:50 UTC 2015

So... we're really talking about ironic? If so, similar requirements
apply... and I see packages for Liberty on Ubuntu and RHEL/CentOS. As you
can probably tell, I don't have a SUSE environment available. However,
ironic requires more hardware resources than manila... at least another
host for it to provision as a compute node. Looking at the existing
installation guide [1], ironic also requires rather significant
configuration changes to a variety of services plus introduces additional
concepts such as PXE and TFTP. However, the guide appears nicely
comprehensive in terms of providing step-by-step procedures for the type of
audience the installation guide attracts. So, we need to consider the
following items before adding ironic to the primary guide as an optional
service:

1) What additional hardware resources does it require? For example, a third
host with W processor, X disk, Y memory, and Z network interfaces. Fewer
requirements generally lead to more people willing to try it, but you don't
want to significantly impact the experience in terms of performance

2) What changes to the existing hardware resources does it require? For
example, additional memory or network interfaces on the controller node.

3) Can someone add ironic without impacting existing functionality? For
example, the ability to launch VMs on a conventional compute node.

4) Does ironic require configuration changes that must occur during initial
configuration of any other service? For example, someone without immediate
plans to install ironic must configure nova differently if they want to add
ironic later.

5) Can ironic consistently provide resources to update the instructions and
verify them on all distributions prior to each OpenStack release?

Matt

[1] http://docs.openstack.org/developer/ironic/deploy/install-guide.html