[OpenStack-docs] [install-guide][manila] Manila install guide

Matt Kassawara mkassawara at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 17:57:13 UTC 2015

I think our audience is most familiar and comfortable with distribution
packages. Although not perfect, packages let our audience focus on the
OpenStack configuration necessary to launch a VM rather than fumbling
through Python dependencies, building init scripts, getting rootwrap
working, etc. I think we need to pursue documenting a source installation
option, but probably make it cater to people who want to take the next step
toward customizing and automating a production deployment. In other words,
the source installation option should consider an audience with more
experience and therefore contain somewhat general instructions that require
less extensive testing for each release.

In addition to using packages, maintaining a consistent structure for each
service also benefits our audience because they can glean configuration
similarities among services... perhaps simply through repetition. For
example... create the SQL database, create Identity service entities,
install packages, configure the service, synchronize database schema, start
the service, and verify operation of the service. Allowing projects to
provide installation content outside of the central installation guide
primarily impacts the consistent structure, but also impacts the ability
for the installation guide team (already very small and stretched very
thin) to continue maintaining the guide in a proactive fashion by
validating it prior to each release rather than waiting for our audience to
open bugs, become frustrated, and ultimately decide against using
OpenStack. The installation guide is usually the first thing newcomers
stumble upon and a great experience benefits everyone.