[OpenStack-docs] [config-ref] Dealing with neutron tables

Gauvain Pocentek gauvain.pocentek at objectif-libre.com
Thu Dec 3 07:58:51 UTC 2015

I'm trying to generate the RST tables for the neutron options in the
config ref. It is not going well.

The generation script has become very complex because we have to deal
with ~20 code repositories and a bunch of dependencies. Most of the
repositories are third-party drivers. Every time someone tries to run
the script we have to make adjustments to the code, this is
uninteresting, eats a lot of time and doesn't scale.

What I would like to do to solve this is probably a bit extreme. I
think that we should only deal with the core neutron components: neutron
itself and neutron-{fw,lb,vpn}aas. This means that we'd loose all the
tables for third-party vendors. Since there's no documentation
associated with these tables anyway I honestly don't think that it is a
big loss (but page views statistics might prove me wrong, I don't have
the numbers).

Neutron third-party vendors never got involved in upstream
documentation, and from what I have seen document their drivers on their
own website. If they want to, we can help them generate the tables, and
do something useful in our doc.

We could use the RST migration to work on this change.

I'd really appreciate the input of the team on this.

Thanks,
Gauvain