[OpenStack-docs] global requirements for doc packages?

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Thu Apr 16 19:41:26 UTC 2015

Hi,

we've setup our doc repositories so that the dependencies are the same
as described in the global-requirements.txt file that is part of the
requirements project.

This gives us two things:
1) Syncing of updates to all our repos
2) Syncing of requirements across repos

Anne and myself often have a hard time getting changes into the
requirements repository.

So, I came up with exposing the soft flag to the update process. The
soft flag allows to update a project without touching or complaining
about files that are not in the global-requirements.txt file:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/173200/
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/173201/

But I wonder whether all this is worth it and we should not remove our
repositories from requirements.

The primary use case of requirements is to make installation of projects
possible with sharing common requirements.

It's nice that you can install the doc tools on these machines as well
but not a hard requirement.

It's nice that we can change one place - global-requirements.txt - and
then the proposal bot updates everything.

But it's not a necessity to have it.

I'd like to have your advise on how to continue:
a) Continue as we do today
b) Use the soft updating as my two patches aboe
c) Remove our repos from projects.txt of the requirements repo

If we go with c, keep in mind that our tool openstack-doc-tools will
stay in the global-requirements.txt file since it's used by the trove
project which is the only project that builds DocBook XML documents
using our toolchain,

    GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Jennifer Guild, Dilip Upmanyu,
        Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)