[OpenStack-docs] Can we push stable/juno out a day or two?

Matt Kassawara mkassawara at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 23:37:00 UTC 2014

While OpenStack RC code often sufficiently tests services, packaging
concerns such as dependencies and default configuration options tend to lag
by one or more milestone/RC cycles. The RDO repository only contained
milestone 3 packages until just prior to the official release of Juno when
RC2 packages appeared in it. Testing packages (even just the core
services), writing patches, reviewing patches, and general time allocation
issues can delay a functional installation guide by a week or more beyond
the package release date. Furthermore, the RDO packages require testing on
RHEL/CentOS and Fedora plus the neutron and nova-network variations. I
would like to provide users with a mostly functional installation guide on
the official release date which would require availability of at least RC
packages at least one week prior to the official release date. The RDO
release packages becoming available yesterday afternoon and the plan to cut
juno/stable for openstack-manuals tomorrow gives us about one day to
install the packages on two distributions each with two variants, determine
the issues, write patches, test them, and run them through the review
process before all changes involve backports.