[Openstack-docs] [training-guides] running training sessions in the sfbay openstack user group meetings

sean roberts seanroberts66 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 00:23:05 UTC 2014

I am following up on the original intent of holding openstack user group
meetings using the openstack training guides. The plan is to start with the
associate guide and hold (6) 2 hour meetings starting the week after the
summit. If this works, then perhaps we can develop this into associate
training leading up to the summit, upstream training at the summit,
followed by the more advanced training over the next release cycle. I am a
bit murky on how we coalesce the slightly different training materials, but
I'd rather forge forward before answering all questions.

Some logistical problems have started showing up as we were thinking
through what needs to happen and by when.
- we will need the network, object, and assessment quizzes completed. that
isnt a huge deal since we have until jan until we hit the gap. i will track
in the project.
- if a laptop with enough mem or disk isn't available, we should have a
backup like rackspace vm option instructions. again i will track in the
project.
- we will need to do trainer training. creating trainer notes for each
chapter seems like a likely requirement. I am guessing that most trainers
will revert to printing out the material and making notes on paper. this
will be a problem. another issue to track in the project.
- we will need to find, train, and retain trainers to help us make this
work. Myself, Rick Evans, Polina Petriuk have discussed participating as
trainers. I am hoping that Stef and Tom can help us find a few more sfbay
area speaker/trainers.
- we will need to find other user groups willing to clone our work asap, so
we can get more, better. I have spoken with Shannon McFarland (Denver) and
Mark Voelker (Durham) and they are interested.

The proposed training schedule below. I am including the likely Kilo
release dates as they will impact our availability.

1) session 1: 20 nov chapters 1-2 getting started
2) session 2: 04 dec chap 3-4 controller
Week of 05 dec M1
3) session 3: 18 dec chap 5-6 compute
holiday break
4)session 4: 22 jan chap 7-8 network
Week of 23 jan M2
5) session 5: 05 feb chap 9-10 object
6) session 6: 19 feb chap 11-12 assessment
Week of 20 feb feature freeze propose
Week of 06 mar feature freeze, M3
Week of 27 mar - 17 apr release
Week of 15 may design summit

Let's discuss this at the next training-guides meeting.

~ sean