[Openstack-docs] Questions regarding the degree of explanation in the openstack manuals

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Thu Oct 2 14:39:53 UTC 2014

What Matt says is all true, but specific to Ubuntu/MySQL, there is no other
OpenStack install guide for that particular user. So I think that there
tend to be more questions for Ubuntu and also more "beginners" or
"freshers" reading that particular guide. RHEL has another install guide,
SUSE has another install guide. Debian has no other guide to my knowledge
either but we don't see as many comments there.

This is a nice analysis of the comments, for sure, thanks for looking at it
and asking. We have a section in some books describing the audience and
what their pre-requisite knowledge should be, for example:
Operations Guide:
http://docs.openstack.org/openstack-ops/content/openstack-ops_preface.html#who-this-book-is-for

Security Guide:
http://docs.openstack.org/security-guide/content/introduction-to-openstack.html

Architecture Design Guide:
http://docs.openstack.org/arch-design/content/arch-guide-intended-audience.html

For the Install Guides, that audience analysis has been done many times in
the past years, and we mostly come up with this type of statement: "This
guide enables you to choose your own OpenStack adventure using a
combination of basic and optional services." This statement gets various
reactions but I think it's pretty close to truth: installing OpenStack is
an adventure that many take, and we document it for a few happy paths with
a lot of assumption about what people should know before going on the
adventure.

Do you have suggestions for indicating that, perhaps with a section like
the examples above?