[Openstack-docs] Questions regarding the degree of explanation in the openstack manuals

Bas Peters baspeters93 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 07:00:43 UTC 2014

Dear all,

As I'm new to the openstack project, I'm having some problems regarding the
degree of explanation required in the Openstack install guides. In
Havana/Icehouse, there are a lot of questions by people on very elementary
things anyone having worked with linux for some time at least
semi-professionally should/would know. For instance, in the Havana release,
most noticeably in the Ubuntu section for some reason, there are a lot of
comments regarding the setting up of MySQL. A bit of Googling would be able
to answer most of these questions, but in my opinion the reason they are
asked in the first place is because it's not clear to people just by reading
the docs.

My question therefore is: To what degree should things be explained in the
install guides? Is there a policy that I can find somewhere (I tried looking
for it, but to no avail) regarding the depth of explanation?

With kind regards,

Bas

PS. Anyone attending Linuxcon/Cloudopen Europe soon?