[Openstack-docs] doxygen

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Thu Oct 2 01:18:54 UTC 2014

Replying here on openstack-docs at lists.openstack.org from a note (pasted
below) that was sent to the docs-core list on Launchpad. We don't really
use Launchpad mailing lists for communication, sorry about that.

---

Hi OpenStack documentation team,

Today’s OpenStack does not have doxygen integrated. I found no blueprints
about integrating doxygen into OpenStack manuals.

Integrating doxygen will be very helpful for API users to understand the
documentation, flow, call-graphs, classes, namespaces, files, functions,
attributes (public / static), data structures, dependencies, etc in a
pictorial way using a web browser. Once doxygen is integrated, all the code
can be understood easily and fast in a web browser instead of manually
figuring out in the code repository.

If new code, files, modules are added, there must a script that runs (as
part of tempest, tox, or testr) doxygen and updates all the HTML files.

Please let me know if I can submit a draft blueprint for this request under
the "openstack-manuals” project.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks a lot!

Regards, Vikram Hosakote OpenStack Software Engineer | vhosakot at cisco.com
Cloud and Virtualization Group | Cisco Systems Boxborough MA | Work :
978-936-8799

---

Thanks for asking. We definitely appreciate automation. Our primary focus
for the official docs Program is end user (including app dev) and
operator/admin docs right now.

Python docs for contributor devs is not really governed in the
openstack-manuals blueprint area, but I know that Stefano Maffuli, our
OpenStack community manager, is interested in improving contributor dev
docs. Also I don't quite know how Doxygen would help API users (though
perhaps you mean the internal APIs where of course it would help).

Stefano, can you think of a good place for this type of blueprint to land?
Or team, do you envision a need to expand the doc program's scope to
include this type of dev doc?

Be sure to come to the bootstrapping session this Friday 10/3 at 3:00 EST
where we'll discuss dev docs.
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/BootstrappingHour/Diving_Into_Docs