[OpenStack-docs] Design revisions and follow up

Diane Fleming dfleming at austin.rr.com
Sat Nov 15 14:19:07 UTC 2014

I love the new pages!

From: Anne Gentle [mailto:anne at openstack.org]
Sent: Friday, November 14, 2014 1:50 PM
To: openstack-docs at lists.openstack.org
Subject: [OpenStack-docs] Design revisions and follow up

Hi all,

I wanted to let you know our Foundation web designer Wes has completed the next round of revisions for the designs based on our input from this week's Doc team meeting. Here are his responses to my emailed requests, probably easiest if I just copy and paste them here. I especially appreciate the less-footer-like base now.

Please take a look by early next week and let me know if you have any concerns, otherwise I'm ready to call this the design we're going with. I'll work with the web devs/designers on a plan to convert to RST/Sphinx.

Main page - http://openstack-homepage.bitballoon.com/docs

Book view - http://openstack-homepage.bitballoon.com/docs/book

Search results - http://openstack-homepage.bitballoon.com/docs/search

Language landing page (new):  <http://openstack-homepage.bitballoon.com/docs/ja> http://openstack-homepage.bitballoon.com/docs/ja

Thanks!

Anne

[…] directional but we didn't see it. - Same as above, increased the size of the icons.

[…] Could it be bumped even larger? Was the question asked. :)

- bumped it up a little bit more. If this still isn’t clear, I can use some different icons. I’d rather not go any larger than this, because of the impact it has on the design. It might be an issue where the circle outline makes the direction less obvious. It’s an easy switch, so let me know. I also added a scroll function so the user will drop to the body of the page when “View The Docs” is clicked.

[…] What happens I think on many Chrome/Mac users is they don't know to scroll past it. They think they only click the button to get to content. Not sure I have solutions but wanted to let you know. Maybe it's because it's blue all the way across, like a footer?

Got it! I made some changes to this section so it looks more like body content (and less like a footer.) Hopefully this helps.

[…] needs to be larger - Increased the size of the font and converted the size to em

[…] Even more increase please? :) Maybe we're all glasses-wearing nerds, I dunno.

Increased it a bit more. I didn’t want to go overboard with the size, especially since there is quite a bit of text but let me know if it needs to go larger. This is also an easy fix, so keep the feedback coming.

[…] Noted: what will the landing page look like in another language?

I took a shot at creating the page in Japanese, using the content you have on the current page. I’m certain there are holes since I’m a novice at translations :) but it should give some idea to how it will look. Let me know if this isn’t what you had in mind. http://openstack-homepage.bitballoon.com/docs/ja