[OpenStack-docs] Diagram color scheme

Karin Levenstein karin.levenstein at RACKSPACE.COM
Fri Nov 14 19:06:39 UTC 2014

On [2], I like the both the Compute Note and (despite injunctions to ignore) the Object Storage nodes (the grey on dark is particularly nice). My only concern with the dark background is that it’s hard to see things like the connector lines from the “100+ GB Storage” block to the /dev  blocks.

On [3], I’ll cast another vote for the Network node scheme.

General comment with the dark-background blocks: readability of the light-color text might be improved with a heavier line weight.

All that said: thanks for tackling this, Matt!

From: Matt Kassawara <mkassawara at gmail.com<mailto:mkassawara at gmail.com>>
Date: Thursday, 13 November 2014 at 19:28
To: "openstack-docs at lists.openstack.org<mailto:openstack-docs at lists.openstack.org>" <openstack-docs at lists.openstack.org<mailto:openstack-docs at lists.openstack.org>>
Subject: [OpenStack-docs] Diagram color scheme

Needless to say, our existing diagram color schemes vary by document and sometimes look rather hideous. For example, I used the red-green-blue theme in the installation guide to improve contrast among the networks, but it lacks the civility you would find in other professional documentation. Similar to networking, colors are hard. For example, themes that implement many shades of one or two colors look professional but limit the ability to contrast important items. On the other hand, themes that implement many diverse colors offer many ways to contrast important items, but look harsh. I haven't found a theme that provides a decent balance until Robb Romans (a coworker at Rackspace) pointed out the Solarized theme [1] today. Although somewhat optimized for text, this theme provides several decent dark/light combinations for diagrams requiring less contrast and a series of diverse yet soft colors for diagrams requiring more contrast. After messing around a bit, I came up with a few potential color variants using this theme. Please review the dark/light example for simple diagrams [2] and the diverse color example for complex/contrasty diagrams [3] and provide comments. For the first diagram, indicate which of the controller node, network node, compute node, and block storage node objects look the best (ignore the object storage nodes). For the second diagram, indicate which of the nodes (dark/light) and network colors look best. You can also reject this theme completely. However, if you do, please provide one or more suitable alternatives. I would like to upload a series of revitalized diagrams to the installation guide as soon as possible.

Matt

[1] http://ethanschoonover.com/solarized
[2] http://23.253.231.218/rpc-diagrams/os-examplearchneutron-hw.png
[3] http://23.253.231.218/rpc-diagrams/os-examplearchneutron-networks.png